Abbreviated History of Hart Park
1921 - The Common Council of Wauwatosa purchased 19.5 acres of land on the Menomonee River, informally referred to as City Park.
1927 – A bandshell was erected at the north end of the Wauwatosa Common, where Harwood Ave. and Wauwatosa Ave. meet. Here, weekly concerts were held in the summer and were broadcast by radio station WTMJ.
1929 – A fieldhouse was constructed with restrooms on the first floor and locker-shower rooms in the basement. The structure cost $30,000 and was used by the East High School football team.
1934 to 1941 – Work Progress Administration (WPA) projects consistently improved the park. These projects included grading, additions to the Fieldhouse, a lannon stone river wall, tree and plant maintenance, installing wood bleachers, tennis courts, and a curling rink.
1960 – To commemorate Wauwatosa’s 125th Anniversary, the Common Council named the park Charles Hart Park to recognize the city’s founder. Mr. Hart constructed the first structure, a mill, in Wauwatosa at what is now the village area.
1964 – The Board of Education installed a new scoreboard at a cost of $1,800.
1967 – The football bleacher structure and press box was constructed with a capacity of 4,625.
1974 – On June 30, 1974, Mr. Howard Muellner, Park Superintendent and City Forester retired after 48 years of service to the City of Wauwatosa. On July 16, the Common Council designated the recreational building containing the ice rink “Muellner Hall.”
1994 – The football field was re-sodded for $14,000.
1995 – The stadium bleacher decking was replaced at a cost of $79,000.
2003 – In August, the current bleacher seats were installed at a cost of $80,742.
2009 - The Common Council approved Resolution R-09-80 on April 7, 2009 stating, “BE IT RESOLVED by the Common Council of the City of Wauwatosa that the proper city officials be and they are hereby authorized and directed to enter into a contract with Triad Constructions, Inc., for the work of Hart Park athletic field improvements, and work incidental thereto, under Contract 09-76 at and for their bid price of $4,202,905.00, this being the lowest and best bid.”